Frequently Asked Questions
Tips and Tricks
- Use the 3 drop down selectors at the top to look at development data by location and year. If you try to select two locations at the same time (planning area and jurisdiction), only the overlapping data will be shown. If there is no overlapping data, then no data will be shown.
- Use your mouse to pan (left click and hold) or zoom (center scroll bar) around the map.
- Use the 3 icons in the top right corner of the map to revert back to the default extent (left), view legend (middle), or change the basemap (right).
- Select an individual data point on the map and the permit/subdivision/case information will appear in a pop up.
- Hover over individual bars, pie slices, or points on the charts to see specific values.
- Select individual bars, pie slices, or points on the charts to filter the data points on the map. You must select the bar, slice, or point again in order to deselect it.
- Click on the button (3 lines) in the top right corner to see other links for further research.
- Hover over a data box and a little circle with four arrows will appear in the top right corner. Click on it and the data box will become full screen. Click on it again to reverse the full screen mode.
- Refreshing any of the dashboards will reset them to their original layout.
Currently, these Dashboards are updated quarterly. Please note that current year data is incomplete until the final quarter is included.
At this time, there is no way to download reports/data directly from any of these Dashboards.
These Dashboards were created using ESRI ArcGIS Dashboards.
Building Permits: Only new building permits were used for the Dashboard and include permits from 1/1/2006 to present. Building permits are collected from all municipalities (Chattanooga, Collegedale, East Ridge, Lakesite, Town of Lookout Mountain, Red Bank, Town of Signal Mountain, and Soddy-Daisy) within Hamilton County as well as the Hamilton County GIS Department (included permits from Unincorporated Hamilton County and Walden). Since building permits are collected from a variety of sources, sometimes permits from a specific Jurisdiction can be left out of a quarterly update due to data collection delays. For official data and details, please check with the individual Jurisdictions. Note that, starting in late 2008, permits for the City of Chattanooga are directly download from the Chattadata open data portal.
Subdivisions: Only new subdivisions with 5 or more lots were used for the Dashboard and include subdivision plats from 1/1/2006 to present. Subdivision plats are created based off of data from the Hamilton County Register of Deeds. Lot totals per subdivision are adjusted to account for plats that were superseded (or replaced by a new plat).
Data Warranty and Accuracy Disclaimer: All Data is expressly provided “AS IS” and “WITH ALL FAULTS”. The RPA makes no warranty of any kind, express or implied, concerning this information, including but not limited to any warranties of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose. The RPA assumes no responsibility or legal liability concerning the Data’s accuracy, reliability, completeness, timeliness, or usefulness. The Data is not intended to constitute advice nor is it to be used as a substitute for specific advice from a professional. Users should not act (or refrain from acting) based upon information in the Data without independently verifying the information and obtaining any necessary professional advice. Users are solely responsible for ensuring the accuracy, currency, and other qualities of any products derived from or in connection with the Data. The Data is collected from various sources, and may be modified over time without notice to improve spatial and/or attribute accuracy. The RPA disclaims responsibility for the spatial accuracy and attribution of GIS features and makes no warranty concerning same.
Liability Disclaimer: The RPA disclaims any responsibility or legal liability to users for damages of any kind, including lost profits, lost savings, or any other incidental or consequential damages relating to the providing of the Data or the use of it. The RPA expressly disclaims any responsibility to defend or indemnify users against claims of others based on users’ copying, distribution, or other use of any of the Data. Users assume the risk of using this Data and shall have no remedy at law or equity against the RPA in case the Data provided is inaccurate, incomplete, or otherwise defective in any way.
No Authority to Act as Jurisdiction: Users are not authorized by the RPA to combine this Data with other data with the intent or effect of representing a RPA business function such as, but not limited to, matters relating to land development, the rezoning or subdivision process, permitting, or flood hazard evaluation. When using this Data, a user has no authority to represent its products or services as though user were a RPA agent or office. Maps or applications using this Data may not include the RPA logo, or any text or other content suggesting they are a direct product of the RPA, without the express permission of the RPA.
Boundary Disclaimer: The designations employed and the presentation of the material within the Data do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the RPA or contributory organizations and institutes concerning the legal status of any state, city, county, or area, or its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its boundaries.
Data Currency: This Data may be updated at irregular intervals. All users should check for updates regularly and ensure the most current version of the Data is being used.
Reliability of This Site: The RPA does not maintain and is not responsible for the performance or reliability of third party services utilized for Data access and distribution. Such vendors may change the functionality or temporarily suspend their services for maintenance without notice. Performance and reliability are solely the responsibility of the vendors.